Our worldCities geographical database is normalized, which makes it very efficient, as well as easy to use. Indeed, the tables containing different types of data (names, hierarchy, data description, etc…) can all be linked using a single ID.
Besides the main worldCities database, which contains continents, countries, administrative divisions and populated places (cities, towns, villages, etc…), other pieces of data are available in external modules. The currently available worldCities Extensions are GPS Coordinates and Language Pack. You can thus pick and choose what you need without having to purchase data you won’t use.
- Populated places classified in up-to 4 levels of administrative divisions (states, provinces, etc…)
- Continents, regions and subregions
- Hierarchy in both parent-child and pre-ordered tree traversal
- Names in local language (in their romanized form when the local language uses a non-latin writing system)
- English names (not available for all cities and states records)
- All names both with and without diacritics and special characters
- Free unlimited e-mail support
- Additional features in worldCities Extensions:
- 319,000 translations and local names in non-latin writing systems. Available in the Language Pack worldCities Extension
- Latitude and longitude (in decimal degrees) of all of populated places. Available in the GPS Coordinates worldCities Extension
To give you the ability to properly evaluate our data, we offer extensive worldCities sample data for free, containing data about 480,000 places.
- Types of administrative divisions and number of records for each country
- Full structure of each table and detailed descriptions of their respective fields
- How to work with the pre-ordered tree traversal hierarchical data
- Convert Decimal Degrees to Degree-Minute-Second in MySQL
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the use of our worldCities database or multiple-licenses/redistribution terms and conditions, and we will be pleased to help you.